Chicken Pad Thai Noodles is the perfect easy weeknight meal. Best of all, this homemade recipe is full of authentic flavors and so much better than restaurant takeout! Great for Sunday meal prep or take the leftovers in school lunchboxes and work lunch bowls. Plus video!
To stay up to date with my latest posts as soon as I post them, you can follow me on Feedly.
Pad Thai is my favorite thing ever to order whenever we go for takeout. In fact, if I had to choose just one food that I wouldn’t mind eating forever, it would be noodles OR anything Thai-inspired. My dad has some family in Bangkok and we had a chance to visit on our tour around Asia when I was about ten years old. Then when I was 20, I had a chance to go back again with just my mom.
I fell completely head over heels on both visits — especially for the food. Their signature flavors made up of sweet, sour, spicy and savory just make my heart sing.
I spent a big chunk of my visits in the kitchen just following my aunts along and helping them out with meals whenever they let me. Of course, Pad Thai was on my list of things I had to master.
Pad Thai has to be the most popular dish that everyone thinks of when it comes to Thai food. We also love this Sweet Potato Noodle version and this Pad Thai Zoodles which makes a great lower carb grain free option.
But in Thailand, Pad Thai is just a common street dish you can find just about everywhere.
My Easy Chicken Pad Thai is packed with all of those unmistakable complex flavors everybody loves when they have Thai food in an authentic Thai restaurant. This Chicken Pad Thai is almost the same as the version I have in my cookbook, except I’ve simplified the ingredients a little bit and included allergy-friendly substitutions as well.
You can also easily customize this recipe by swapping out whatever vegetables you have on hand. Don’t like chicken? Feel free to leave it out for a meatless version or make it with your favorite protein instead.
Either way you choose, this dish can be on your dinner table in as little as 25 minutes – or less if you have everything prepped ahead of time!
Much quicker and better than takeout! Plus, it reheats beautifully so it makes delicious leftovers for lunch the next day.
Make ahead tips and substitutions for this Chicken Pad Thai
- wash and chop your vegetables the day before and store in a zip-top bag or sealable container in the fridge
- slice chicken and store in an air-tight container in the fridge the day before
- add shrimp or make this with beef, pork or fried tofu for a vegetarian version instead
- use the skillet to cook the noodles before-hand and this can be a one pot meal
- instead of rice noodles – use spiralized veggies like zoodles or sweet potato noodles
- if you don’t have access to tamarind concentrate (more watery – NOT tamarind paste which is thicker) – use 3 tablespoons lime juice or rice vinegar instead. I use the one below which I get at my local Asian supermarket.
- use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos for a gluten free version
- fish sauce is HIGHLY recommended for that unmistakeable Thai flavor. For a VEGAN & GLUTEN version, check out FYSH SAUCE as a great substitute. But if you still t must skip it, use additional soy sauce instead
- if you like a saucier Pad Thai – double the sauce and add desired amount to noodles. Save the leftovers for a stir-fry or even a salad.
WEEKLY MEAL PREP-TIPS FOR YOUR SCHOOL OR WORK LUNCH BOWLS.
- Delicious for leftovers or make a batch on Sunday meal prep and pack for your weekly school or work lunch bowls
- For easier weekly meal prep – prepare all the vegetables ahead of time and store in an airtight container the night before.
- Pack with your favorite side – Jasmine rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice or spiralized vegetables – zoodles – I use this lunch container
More lunch bowls:
It’s 30 Minute Thursday, don’t forget to stop by and check out more 30 minute meals from my blogger friends: