Instant Pot Lemon Herb Chicken is the perfect easy meal for spring made in the pressure cooker. Best of all, this chicken cooks up tender and full of flavor with instructions for the Instant Pot and stovetop.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS INSTANT POT LEMON CHICKEN WITH GARLIC
You start off by seasoning the chicken with some salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and red chili flakes for some heat. Feel free to leave out chili if you are sensitive to heat.
I used chicken thighs here because I love that they stay tender but I have also made this a number of times with chicken breasts and it still comes out super flavorful.
Searing the chicken helps to seal in those amazing juices and gives the chicken that extra layer of flavor. Transfer to plate then add the butter, onions, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, chicken broth and heavy cream.
Seal the lid on and let your pressure cooker do the rest.
This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Garlic is quick and easy dish bursting with bright and fresh flavors. It’s also low in carbs and perfect for spring and any busy weeknight!
Lemon Herb Garlic Chicken
This Instant Pot Lemon Herb Garlic Chicken is the perfect easy meal for spring. Best of all, this chicken cooks up tender, juicy and full of flavor with instructions for the pressure cooker and stovetop.
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin*
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes optional or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (swap with olive oil for paleo)
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves sliced or minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream leave out for paleo
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish if desired
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and chili flakes. Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot.
To cook in the Instant Pot:
- Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot.
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot and sauté on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth.
- Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEAL.
- Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.
- It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When done, release the pressure after 2 minutes, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot using tongs and set aside on a large serving plate. Stir in heavy cream (if using) into the Instant Pot or thicken with a cornstarch or arrowroot starch slurry (1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water). Turn Instant Pot to SAUTE and allow sauce to bubble and thicken. Turn off and add chicken back to the Instant Pot to coat with sauce. Sprinkle chicken with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
To cook on the stove:
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add olive and cook for 4-5 on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
- Return pan back to heat and melt butter. Stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth. Stir in heavy cream (or can thicken with cornstarch slurry – 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water). Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened up slightly, add the chicken back into the pan until hot. Sprinkle chicken with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.