Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken makes the perfect easy weeknight meal. Best of all, this healthier popular takeout has the same amazing flavors as your local restaurant. Made in your crock-pot or Instant Pot pressure cooker! Plus step-by-step video!
Allergy Friendly & Paleo Options for General Tso’s Chicken
General Tso’s Chicken usually gets dunked in a breaded coating to get that crispy coating we all love. For this homemade version, there’s no deep frying but to achieve that restaurant quality texture, the chicken gets coated in some cornstarch before lightly browning in some oil.
- Substitute with arrowroot powder for a Paleo-friendly version
- Use coconut, ghee or avocado oil for a Paleo-friendly option
You can also completely skip the browning step and add chicken directly into the crock-pot if you prefer. Browning is an additional step but makes a HUGE difference in taste and texture.
The sauce usually calls for low-sodium soy sauce, hoisin sauce and ketchup:
- Gluten-free Tamari and Coconut Aminos (paleo) are great substitutes.
- Hoisin sauce comes in a gluten free version or you can make your own at home HERE.
- Ketchup gives this that deep red color but if you can either make your own gluten free paleo version HERE or just sub with concentrated tomato paste + more honey instead.
Combine the sauce ingredients together and toss with the chicken. Cook on low for a few hours you’ve got dinner on the table the whole family will LOVE!
Enjoy this alone or serve it with some quinoa, rice or even zoodles or cauliflower rice for a lower carb option.
Either way you choose, it’s so much easier and healthier than takeout! Plus you can pack them for lunch in these handy lunch containers. These are the ones I use —-> lunch container
Weekly meal prep-tips for your school or work lunch bowls.
- Delicious for leftovers or make a batch on Sunday meal prep and pack for your weekly school or work lunch bowls
- Add your favorite roasted or stir-fried vegetables to the your lunch bowls – I used broccoli, zucchini and red bell peppers
- For easier weekly meal prep – chop all the vegetables ahead of time and store in an airtight container the night before.
- Pack with your favorite side – Jasmine rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice or spiralized vegetables – zoodles – I use this lunch container