Pineapple Fried Rice – an easy recipe that is perfect for busy weeknights. Best of all, this simple side dish comes together in less than 30 minutes with chicken or shrimp & is SO much better than takeout!
Fried Rice is one of those dishes I turn to the most when I don’t feel like fussing over dinner after a long day.
It cooks up in just one pan – and the variations are endless with just a few simple ingredients. The best part is, it’s the perfect way to clean out the fridge with those lingering veggies.
This Pineapple Fried Rice recipe is another variation from my cookbook. I’ve included some tips to make it gluten free and a little bit more allergy-friendly.
I’ve also left out the curry powder that you find in most Thai restaurant versions. However, if you’re as crazy about Thai flavors as much as I am, you can totally add a bit of curry powder to kick it up a notch though.
Make-ahead and allergy-friendly tips for this Pineapple Fried Rice
- Fish sauce (it adds SO much umami flavor and should not be skipped) (I’ve also read great things about this Vegan version)
- Use leftover rice that’s been refrigerated. Adding fresh hot cooked rice will turn the fried rice into mush. Or cook your fresh rice using 25% less water –> scoop it out onto a baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes
- Cook the ingredients separately. In this recipe, you’ll cook the egg first, then dish out to plate. This is to ensure that each ingredient is perfectly cooked (not over or under cooked) AND that each ingredient maintains their distinct flavor and texture.
- Add any protein you like – chicken, shrimp, tofu etc. To make-ahead, you can chop chicken, pork or beef into bite-sized pieces and store in a zip-top bag the night before.
- Leftovers are great for packing in your work or school lunch bowls
More fried rice: