Impress your Valentine with these Red Velvet Heart Shaped Macarons filled with cream cheese frosting. The melt in your mouth texture make them a perfect treat any time of year.
If you are still looking for ideas on what to make for Valentine’s Day, these Red Velvet Macarons are the perfect way to ask that special someone to be your Valentine.
Nothing says “I ♥ you” more than heart-shaped cookies.
Especially when the cookies are macarons.
These Red Velvet Macarons start with the classic crunchy outer shell and a chewy melt in the mouth texture inside.
Just like the Red Velvet cake, there is a hint of cocoa powder to give them the right touch of chocolate flavor and a cream cheese buttercream makes the perfect filling.
These cute little cookies definitely take some practice to get right.
I have a love-hate relationship with these little guys since I started making them last spring after Love and Olive Oil’s Macaron Kitchen Challenge.
Some tips that I find have helped me when making macarons are:
- Be sure to have a kitchen food scale when following any macaron recipe as it ensures the right amount of ingredients.
- I usually use aged egg-whites (in the fridge for about 3 days) since I find this helps with developing the “feet” to my macarons but a lot of people skip this step since they are still able to produce perfect macarons without aging them. I think I’m just too chicken to try it for fear of another “failed” macaron batch but feel free to use what method works for you 🙂
- Sift all your dry ingredients at least three times
- Using a printed macaron template will help you pipe the macarons into uniform sizes and shapes
- Make sure you rasp the cookie sheet hard on the counter a few times after you have piped the macarons
- Let the piped macarons sit out on the counter for at least 20 minutes before baking them in the oven
- Macarons usually taste best the next day after they have been filled so that the flavors have had a chance to meld together.
Even though they take time and effort to get right, they are worth every single bite and the perfect treat to show that special someone how much they mean to you.
Add in some red sugar crystals and a few ♥ heart ♥ sprinkles to make them even more festive and cute 🙂
Slightly adapted from Dixie Crystals