Slow Cooker Orange Chicken makes the perfect easy weeknight meal. Best of all, it’s so simple to whip up in your crock-pot or Instant Pot pressure cooker. Great for Sunday meal prep for work lunch bowls & better than the local Chinese restaurant takeout!
I’m back with another takeout favorite! This popular dish (along with Kung Pao Chicken, General Tso’s Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken) is one of my husband’s favorite dish he loves to order when we’re out. I’ve recreated it to make it healthier and the best part of all? I made it in the crock-pot!
This Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is super simple and easy to whip up (I’ve also included how to make it in your Instant Pot pressure cooker). It’s full of bright citrus flavors with a sweet and savory flavor-packed sauce. Making it at home means you can skip the stop at that local greasy takeout restaurant! Plus, it’s healthier and you get to customize the flavors.
Just start off with some cubed chicken that gets coated in a little bit of cornstarch. For a crispier texture, you pan-fry it on the stove for a couple minutes before adding it to the slow cooker. It’s an extra step but makes a HUGE difference!
If you want to keep things simple, you can certainly just add the chicken directly to the crock-pot without browning it. I’ve made them both ways and they are still lip smacking-ly delicious!
And the sauce! Oh my goodness! Totally my favorite part! It’s wonderfully sweet and tangy with bright citrus flavors!
Made with orange juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, some cider vinegar and fresh garlic and ginger. It will make your house smell AMAZING while it simmers away in the slow cooker.
Serve it along with some veggies or over a bed of your favorite rice or noodles and you’ve got a complete meal without having to order takeout ❤
Make ahead tips for this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- cube the chicken beforehand and store in a ziptop freezer bag in the fridge
- mix the sauce together the night before and store in a mason jar or an airtight container
Weekly meal prep-tips for your school or work lunch bowls
- Delicious for leftovers or make a batch on Sunday meal prep and pack for your weekly school or work lunch bowls
- Serve with your favorite side – Jasmine rice, brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice or spiralized vegetables or zoodles
- Add your favorite roasted or stir-fried vegetables to the your lunch bowls – I used broccoli and red bell peppers
- For easier weekly meal prep – chop all the vegetables ahead of time and store in an airtight container the night before – I use this lunch container
More lunch bowls:
For a meatless version, the sauce is awesome with extra firm tofu (roasted or raw) and cauliflower. Just toss them into the slow cooker with the sauce and cook everything for an hour less than the directed time.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh3.ggpht.com/-VYG5N6SE2Oo/VOeu89rMW2I/AAAAAAAATNM/VgcN9X39frM/s144-o/Slow%252520Cooker%252520Orange%252520Cauliflower%252520and%252520Tofu.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog6#6118050981177219938″ caption=”Slow Cooker Orange Cauliflower and Tofu.jpg” type=”image” alt=”Slow Cooker Orange Cauliflower and Tofu.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w550″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
More slow cooker favorites: