Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken is the perfect homemade takeout dish made completely in the crock-pot or an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Best of all, so easy for Sunday meal prep for work lunch bowls and way better and healthier than takeout! Plus recipe video!
Sweet and sour pork is one of my husband’s favorite takeout dish. I used to make it for him regularly when we first got married but lately, I’ve been making Sweet and Sour Chicken instead and in the slow cooker.
It’s so much easier to whip up and you won’t have to stand in front of the hot stove which makes it perfect for those busy week nights or days when you need your hands free.
After a few hours, you throw in your favorite chopped veggies – I used red bell peppers and pineapple chunks this time, then you pour in the sauce and thirty minutes later, you’re ready to serve this warm over a bowl of cooked rice or quinoa.
Your favorite take-out dish that requires almost zero effort!
Allergy Friendly & Paleo Options for Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken usually gets dunked in a breaded coating to get that crispy coating we all love. For this homemade version, there’s no deep frying but to achieve that restaurant quality taste, the chicken gets coated in cornstarch before browning in a little bit of oil.
- Substitute with arrowroot powder for a Paleo-friendly version
- Use coconut, ghee or avocado oil for a Paleo-friendly option
You can also totally skip that step and add them directly into the crock-pot if you prefer. Browning is an additional step but makes a HUGE difference in taste and texture.
The sauce usually calls for low-sodium soy sauce, hoisin sauce and ketchup:
- Gluten-free Tamari and Coconut Aminos (paleo) are great substitutes.
- Hoisin sauce comes in a gluten free version or you can make your own at home HERE.
- Ketchup gives this that deep red color but if you can either make your own gluten free paleo version HERE or just sub with concentrated tomato paste + more honey instead.
Weekly meal prep-tips for your school or work lunch bowls
- Delicious for leftovers or make a batch on Sunday meal prep and pack for your weekly school or work lunch bowls
- Serve with your favorite side – Jasmine rice, brown rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice or spiralized vegetables or zoodles
- For easier weekly meal prep – chop all the vegetables ahead of time and store in an airtight container the night before – – I use this lunch container.
More lunch bowls:
**For those of you that don’t have a slow cooker, you can still make this dish on your stove top easily.
Check out my Sweet and Sour Pork Dish that doesn’t require a slow cooker. Just replace the pork with chicken or firm tofu instead.
Slow cooker / Crockpot Chicken Lo Mein Noodles (a reader favorite)